- F Jussi Jokinen signed with Edmonton for 1 year and $1.1 million
- Additional Details: Contract has a Modified NTC where he must submit a 3 team no trade list
- Previous Contract: 4 years, $16 million with an AAV of $4 million signed with Florida. Was bought out on 7/1.
- Thoughts: After Jokinen was bought out by the Panthers I thought that there would be plenty of teams interested in signing him. Jokinen is capable of playing all three forward positions, is a good faceoff taker and can provide some quality depth scoring for a good team. I think this is a brilliant signing by the Oilers because it gives them good forward depth for a very cheap salary. Jokinen had a down year last season but is just one year removed from putting up 60 points and has scored 20 or more goals twice in his career. He could skate on any of Edmonton’s lines, whether at center or on the wing, and can play in any situation. He is a good veteran presence on a young team.
- RW Brett Ritchie re-signed with Dallas for 2 years with an AAV of $1.75 million
- Previous Contract: 1 year, $875,000 signed with Dallas.
- Original Projection: I predicted that Ritchie was going to re-sign with Dallas for 4 years with an AAV of $2 million.
- Thoughts: Ritchie has the best season of his career last season, scoring 16 goals in his first full season. He is a key piece to the Stars forward group and I thought that the team was going to do everything they could to lock him down to a longer deal. Perhaps that is what they attempted to do but Ritchie wasn’t interested and wanted to bet on himself to produce more, which will allow him to sign a bigger deal when he is a free agent again.
- C Mikhail Grigorenko signed with the KHL’s CSKA Moscow
- New York Rangers D Kevin Klein has retired
*All stats and information came from hockey-reference.com, tsn.ca, and capfriendly.com